Thursday, September 27, 2012

PUMPKIN TIME!

I got a new craft idea today!  Since it is "fall" the craft stores are loaded with with lots of nice pumpkins.  Since every year I fail horribly at carving a pumpkin... this year I decided to go fake (I might change my mind later).  Since I have a love for glitter and an addiction to monograms I made a glittery monogrammed pumpkin! I have a few monograms left over from our wedding so I am finding some fun crafts to use them on.  Below is how I did it...
 

 
Here are the supplies you need: A pumpkin (real or fake), paint (in the color of glitter you would like to use), painters tape, mod podge (I used gloss finish for this project),  a few old paint brushes, a paper plate, some old newspaper and a monogram vinyl.
 
1. Place some newspaper on your work surface, tape up the stem with painters tape, and paint your pumpkin!


2. Get your glitter ready! I like to use a paper plate to catch my glitter- it folds nicely to get all the excess glitter back into the bottle.  Apply mod podge with a paintbrush one section of the pumpkin at a time and apply glitter, this way the mod podge does not dry while applying the glitter.
 
 
 
3. Give the glitter a little time to dry (20-30 minutes) then apply a layer of mod podge. It looks a little strange but it drys with a nice glossy and you will have much less glitter around your house with this layer than without it!
 

 
4. Once the mod podge drys, you can apply your vinyl. This is time consuming! Since it has glitter and curves it can take a minute. 


 5. After your monogram is applied, cover with a small layer of Mod Podge.

 
 
6. ENJOY!
 
 
If you are looking for a great place to get vinyl monograms check out my favorite place.... Ten23 Designs.  http://www.ten23designs.com/ 




No comments:

Post a Comment